In the recent past I worked as a fundraiser for a variety of high profile charities. As someone who exercised free expression in the United States at significant personal cost, I know what it is like to need help or even simply a little understanding. Nevertheless, many humans endure situations I can’t even begin to imagine. Once I overcome poverty (again), this is the initial short list of where my charitable giving would start. In the meantime, I sign petitions, write letters, post in social media, talk to people and incorporate the story of these organizations and the people they help into my daily artistic expression. Right now the flag on my Barbie monitor when I appear as FFIREHS reads “#FREESHEZ FreeShez.com”.
Shez, FREE – Shezanne (Shez) Cassim, a U.S. citizen from Woodbury, Minnesota, has been detained in the United Arab Emirates since April 7, 2013 for posting an amateur comedy video on YouTube in 2012.
- # Charity Navigator
- ACLU – American Civil Liberties Union is our nation’s guardian of liberty, working daily in courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country.
- Actors Fund, The
- Amnesty is a global movement of people fighting injustice and promoting human rights. We work to protect people wherever justice, freedom, truth and dignity are denied.
- Doctors Without Borders
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- FEMEN is an international women’s movement of brave topless female activists painted with the slogans and crowned with flowers. Activist’s naked body is the undisguised hatred toward the patriarchal order and new aesthetics of women’s revolution.
- Freedom From Religion Foundation
- Planned Parenthood
- Private Manning Support Network – After more than 3 years of pretrial confinement, the trial of military whistle-blower and democracy advocate PVT Chelsea Manning (known publicly as Bradley Manning until her Aug 22, 2013 announcement) finished on August 21st. With her sentence of 35 years, this case sets a dangerous precedent for the first amendment, opening whistle-blowers and those who help them to extreme prosecution.
- Pussy Riot, FREE
- SAG Foundation
- Shez, FREE – Shezanne (Shez) Cassim, a U.S. citizen from Woodbury, Minnesota, has been detained in the United Arab Emirates since April 7, 2013 for posting an amateur comedy video on YouTube in 2012.
- Snowden, FREE – Edward Snowden is a 30 year old US citizen, former Intelligence Community officer and whistleblower. The documents he revealed provided a vital public window into the NSA and its international intelligence partners’ secret mass surveillance programs and capabilities.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Wounded Warrior Project